Response to 'Jet Zero'- Strategy for net zero aviation
Jonathan Essex's response to the government's Department of Transport consultation on achieving net zero within aviation by 2050.
This consultation aimed to:
- decarbonise aviation in a way that preserves the benefits of air travel
- maximise the opportunities that decarbonisation can bring
Essex's response to the consultation:
- Domestic aviation targets to reach net zero by 2040 are not ambitious enough and the strategy is almost entirely reliant on technological innovations
- Review should be aligned to the rest of the economy’s carbon budgeting process. Aviation should be managed within, not separate from, the current carbon governance framework.
- very little in this strategy that relates to the level of ambition required as part of the UK’s plan to address the climate emergency
- The government's repsonse doesnt consider policies to manage the demand for freight or the significance of UK passengers in the passenger carbon footprint
Government response to the consultation: